Healthy Professional Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice
A Continuing Education Course by Anne Williams and Eric Brown
Have you ever ended a workday at your massage business and felt so drained you wondered if this is the right profession for you? Have you ever said goodbye to a client and wished they never booked with you again?
This feeling of regular exhaustion is not a symptom of poor hands-on skills. Your massage skills are solid. Instead of signing up for another technique workshop, pay more attention to how you establish your professional boundaries, how you respond to boundary violations, and how you maintain professional boundaries as your relationship with a client evolves over time.
In this course, we’ll define professional boundaries with clear directives and examples. You’ll learn to rest in the structure created by your knowledge and professionalism. Together, we’ll unravel complex client-therapist scenarios and use behaviors and language that keep sessions on track, even when clients misbehave.
With more attention to professional boundaries, those dispiriting workdays will be a thing of the past. We’ll remember why we wanted to practice massage in the first place, feel energized by seeing our clients make progress towards their wellness goals, and derive satisfaction from the good work we do in a profession we love.
Learning Objectives: Having completed this course, you will be able to:
- Define These Terms: Client confidentiality, dual relationships, informed consent, intimacy, self-disclosure.
- List two ways professionalism helps a massage therapist establish boundaries with clients.
- Compare and contrast information that is appropriate to disclose to a client with information that is inappropriate to disclose to a client.
- Compare and contrast healthy intimacy with unhealthy intimacy in a therapeutic relationship.
- Explain why touch is reserved for the massage session in setting appropriate physical boundaries with clients.
- List two exceptions to the “no touch except during the massage boundary.”
- List five behaviors considered sexual and therefore prohibited in a massage business.
- Describe two items you should include in a zero-tolerance for sexual behavior and sex discrimination policy document.
- Outline the four-step response to client sexual behavior.
- Describe one way to empower client sensory boundaries during a massage session.
- List two ways to ensure you don’t cross a client’s psychological boundary during a massage session.
- Explain why a massage therapist’s emotional boundary may become permeable and why this could have a negative impact on client sessions.
- List one example of a massage therapist crossing out of their scope of practice during a client’s emotional response to bodywork.
- List two ways a therapist may violate a client’s privacy boundaries.
- Explain the limits to client confidentiality and how clients are appraised of these limits.
- Outline the information that should be included in client informed consent documents.
- Describe two ways client ownership boundaries are violated during massage sessions.
- State two examples of dual relationships that are generally permissible in a massage practice.
- Explain when a dual relationship is unethical in a massage practice.
- Give an example of a boundary complication that might occur in a dual relationship with a family member or friend.
Participants must complete Course 01: Personal Space & Personal Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice and Course 02: Essential Boundary Skills in an Ethical Massage Practice before they begin this course.
HEALTHY PROFESSIONAL BOUNDARIES
- Learning Objectives
- Terminology Preview
- Physical Boundaries
- Sexual Boundaries
- Sensory Boundaries
- Psychological Boundaries
- Emotional Boundaries
- Privacy Boundaries
- Autonomy Boundaries
- Ownership Boundaries
- Dual Relationships
- Apply It! (2 Activities)
- Practice Quiz (10 Questions)
FINAL COURSE EXAMINATION (20 MULTIPLE-CHOICE QUESTIONS)
CE Approvals: NCBTMB-approved, accepted in most states including New York, and Florida. Please note this course is NOT approved by Alabama, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
Prerequisites: Participants must complete Course 01: Personal Space & Personal Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice and Course 02: Essential Boundary Skills in an Ethical Massage Practice before they begin this course.
Subscription Period: You must complete this course within 12 months of purchase (see the Boundaries CE Package described below for unlimited access).
After Purchase: Once you purchase this course you’ll log into massagemastery.online with your email and password. The course will be waiting for you in the “My Courses & Digital Textbooks” area. Click the course access button and follow the directions.
Required Digital Textbook: The purchase of this course comes with a FREE 12-month subscription to the digital textbook, Boundaries: The Foundation of Ethical Massage Practice.
Features: These courses feature video presentations, listen-along audio, text translation, learning games, Let’s Talk interviews with professional therapists, stories and critical thinking scenarios, interactive content, instant feedback on quizzes and learning games, striking visuals, easy navigation, downloadable resources, and more. This course is accessible on a computer, laptop, tablet, or phone with an Internet connection.
Authors: Anne Williams and Eric Brown
Boundaries: The Foundation of Ethical Massage Practice is Included with this Course
When you purchase Healthy Professional Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice, you receive a free copy of Boundaries: The Foundation of Ethical Massage Practice. You’ll use this textbook to complete course requirements. Follow the links in the Course Area to get your copy after you enroll in this course.
Bundle and Save $60!
Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice CE Package
Get the course described on this page, Healthy Professional Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice, and two other ethics course in a special CE package. You get three high-quality online home study courses worth 12 hours of NCBTMB-approved ethics CE, and ongoing access to our premier digital textbook titled, Boundaries: The Foundation of Ethical Massage Practice. You save more than $60!
Continuing Education Just Got More Interesting!
Hate to read? Watch a video presentation. Going for a walk? Take your phone and listen to your course. Want practical, real-world information? Let’s Talk interviews with well-known massage professionals give you a sense of community. Get bored easily? Visually rich pages, and subtle animations that direct your focus will help. Explore the unique learning features that make these courses different.