A Continuing Education Course by Eric Brown and Contributors
Get this visually rich online pregnancy massage course for massage therapists with over five hours of video content and 8 CE hours. Buy it now during our launch and save 50% on lifetime access! Only $49 (regularly $99).
Pregnancy is the beginning of a new stage in a woman’s life and contain many moments of joy and anticipation. But this is also a time of tremendous change. Aches and pains, heightened emotions, morning sickness, tiredness, cravings, a changing body shape, and numerous other physical symptoms accompany social changes. Some expectant families will need to renegotiate working arrangements, finances, and the way romantic partnerships operate.
As massage therapists, we can play a role in easing some of the physical, emotional, and even social symptoms that accompany pregnancy. There is ample research to show that massage therapy during pregnancy relieves aches and pains, and supports emotional and psychological wellness. Massage can help reduce anxiety, decrease symptoms of depression, and improve labor outcomes and newborn health.
This course takes a broad look at pregnancy and pregnancy massage. It reminds us that pregnancy is not a pathology and pregnancy massage is not a modality. We are simply doing what we do best, and providing massage to pregnant women in a safe manner that adapts to their individual needs and wants.
Together, we will outline the normal process of pregnancy and discuss how we can support pregnant clients at each stage of their journey. Video demonstrations walk us through the subtleties of draping, positioning, and technique adaptations. Interviews with a number of health care professionals specializing in pregnancy, including doulas and lactation consultants, give us a broad background that informs our hands-on work and helps us better understand the experiences and needs of pregnant women.
If you’ve wanted to explore working more regularly with pregnant clients, but feared you lacked the proper skill foundation, this course will give you the confidence you need to pursue this goal, and the knowledge to know when it is appropriate to refer your client to a more experienced health care professional.
Having completed this course, the participant will be able to:
- Define the term, pregnancy massage.
- List four ways a woman’s body undergoes changes during the 40 weeks of pregnancy.
- List two psychological or emotional impacts of pregnancy on a mother.
- Outline four benefits of massage for expecting mothers.
- Describe two positioning considerations for each trimester of a pregnancy.
- Explain, in your own words, the semiprone position and its benefits.
- Explain, in your own words, the sidelying position and its benefits.
- Practice positioning the client using pillows, forms, and special body support systems.
- Practice draping techniques to ensure modesty and comfort.
- State two common precautions taken when massaging pregnant woman.
- Define the term, high-risk pregnancy.
- Name three conditions associated with high-risk pregnancy.
- Define the term, preeclampsia.
- List three changes that occur in a woman’s body during the 1st
- List two symptoms a woman may experience during the 1st
- Describe one way massage may help reduce the symptom of morning sickness.
- Describe two symptoms experienced during the 1st trimester that benefit from massage.
- List three changes that occur in a woman’s body during the 2nd
- Describe two symptoms experienced during the 2nd trimester that benefit from massage.
- Explain one reason that massage with oil reduces stretch marks.
- Describe one postural change that occurs during pregnancy and may lead to backache.
- Discuss the massage therapist’s role related to blood pressuring when providing massage to pregnant clients.
- List two changes that occur in a woman’s body during the 3rd
- Describe two symptoms experienced during the 3rd trimester that benefit from massage.
- List two techniques, advocated by childbirth educators, that reduce the need for episiotomies.
- Describe two ways that stress negatively impacts a pregnant woman and her baby.
- Outline three ways massage therapy reduces stress for a pregnant woman.
- Outline the stages in the delivery process.
- Describe the role of a massage therapist during a delivery process.
- Outline guidelines for massage during stage 1 of the delivery process.
- List two techniques that support the delivery process at stage 2.
- Describe the potential role of massage at stage 3 of the delivery process.
- Describe thee massage techniques that are particularly applicable during the delivery process.
- List two benefits of massage during the postpartum period.
- Discuss one issue a woman might experience during the postpartum period.
INTRODUCTION AND ORIENTATION
LESSON 01: PREGNANCY AND THE MASSAGE THERAPIST
- Positioning and Draping
- Pregnancy Massage Techniques
- Precautions and Contraindications
LESSON 02: MASSAGE THROUGH EACH TRIMESTER
- The 1st Trimester
- The 2nd Trimester
- The 3rd Trimester
LESSON 03: PREGNANCY WELLNESS ACTIVITIES
- Exercise: General Guidelines
- Exercise: Strengthening the Pelvic Floor
- Hydrotherapy Through Pregnancy
- Stress Management
LESSON 04: LABOR AND DELIVERY
- Stage 1
- Stage 2
- Stage 3
LESSON 05: POSTPARTUM
- Issues in the Postpartum Period
LESSON 06: LET’S TALK PREGNANCY MASSAGE (VIDEOS)
Category: Special Populations
CE Hours: 8 CE Hours
CE Approvals: NCBTMB approved for 8 CE hours. Accepted in most states including New York, and Florida. Please note this course is NOT approved by Alabama, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
Subscription Period: Purchase during the launch period and get lifetime access.
After Purchase: Once you purchase this course you’ll log into massagemastery.online with your email and password. The course will be waiting for you in the “My Courses & Digital Textbooks” area. Click the course access button and follow the directions.
Features: This course features video presentations, text translation, learning games, Let’s Talk interviews with pregnancy professionals, interactive content, instant feedback on quizzes and learning games, striking visuals, easy navigation, downloadable resources, and more. This course is accessible on a computer, laptop, tablet, or phone with an Internet connection.
Authors: Eric Brown, in consultation with Dr. Nuwanthi Fernando, MD, and Raissa Sauve, RMT and Certified Doula.
Please let your colleagues know about this valuable resource. Click one of the buttons below to share…
Bundle and Save $60!
Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice CE Package
Get the course described on this page, Personal Space & Personal Boundaries in an Ethical Massage Practice, and two other ethics course in a special CE package. You get three high-quality online home study courses worth 12 hours of NCBTMB-approved ethics CE, and ongoing access to our premier digital textbook titled, Boundaries: The Foundation of Ethical Massage Practice. You save more than $60!
Continuing Education Just Got More Interesting!
Hate to read? Watch a video presentation. Going for a walk? Take your phone and listen to your course. Want practical, real-world information? Let’s Talk interviews with well-known massage professionals give you a sense of community. Get bored easily? Visually rich pages, and subtle animations that direct your focus will help. Explore the unique learning features that make these courses different.