Massage Mastery: From Student to Professional
A Digital Textbook by Anne Williams
Massage Mastery: From Student to Professional is a comprehensive introductory massage text first published in print by Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins (LWW). The digital text is organized to motivate students with progressive topics that build their confidence and sense of accomplishment. Students gain a strong foundation in both the underlying theory and the practice of contemporary massage therapy.
Professionals returning to massage therapy after a long break might find this textbook useful as a review of core subjects and topics. Similarly, professionals preparing to enter the classroom as teachers, will find this text an invaluable resource for foundational education.
Twenty-four clear, easy-to-follow chapters are broken into manageable reading assignments that explore all the key areas addressed in most massage programs. In addition to traditional massage therapy topics, you’ll find several new and emerging topics that are essential for preparing today’s adult learners for successful massage careers. This digital text, priced for affordability, boasts an impressive collection of 38 demonstration videos useful for hands-on practice sessions or to help students who missed classes catch up.
Textbook Introduction & Orientation
Chapter 1: Massage from Past to Present
- The History of Massage
- Overview of Techniques, Systems, and Approaches
- Contemporary American Massage
Chapter 2: Massage Equipment and Environmental Considerations
- Massage Equipment
- Creating a Comfortable Massage Environment
Chapter 3: Sanitation, Hygiene, and Safety
- Preventing Disease Transmission
- Standard Precautions
- The Safety Plan
Chapter 4: The Therapeutic Nature of Massage
- Evidence-Based Massage
- Massage Effects and Benefits
- Massage Indications
- Understanding Stress and Wellness
Chapter 5: Massage Cautions and Contraindications
- Areas of Caution
- Medications and Massage
- Massage Contraindications
Chapter 6: Ethics and the Law
- Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Massage Law
Chapter 7: The Therapeutic Relationship
- The Power of Touch
- Psychological Factors in the Therapeutic Relationship
- Boundaries in the Therapeutic Relationship
- Bodymind Factors in the Therapeutic Relationship
- Managing Emotions in the Therapeutic Relationship
Chapter 8: Professional Communication
- Core Concepts in Communication
- Communication Blockers
- Active Communication
- Conflict Resolution
Chapter 9: Your Massage Career
- Your Career Plan
- Work as an Employee
- Starting a Private Practice
Chapter 10: Foundation Skills for Therapeutic Massage
- Overview of Wellness Massage Sessions
- Opening and Closing the Massage
Chapter 11: Body Mechanics and Self-Care
- Prepare for the Demands of a Massage Career
- Good Body Mechanics
- Self-Care on the Job
Chapter 12: Assessment, Treatment Planning, and Documentation for Wellness Massage
- Assessment for a Wellness Session
- Session Planning for Wellness Massage
- Introduction to Documentation
Chapter 13: Swedish Massage Techniques
- Joint Movements
- Putting it All Together
Chapter 14: Seated Massage
- Introduction to Seated Massage
- Seated Massage Techniques
Chapter 15: Spa Therapies and Other Approaches
- Spa Therapies
- Stone Massage
Chapter 16: Hydrotherapy
- Introduction to Hydrotherapy
- Hydrotherapy Benefits and Effects
- Hydrotherapy Applications
Chapter 17: Eastern Approaches
- Asian Bodywork Therapies
- Ayurvedic Bodywork
Chapter 18: Energetic Approaches
- Key Concepts in Energy Medicine
- Polarity Therapy
- Therapeutic Touch
Chapter 19: Assessment, Treatment Planning, and Documentation for Health Care Massage
- Healthcare Sessions and the Intake Process
- Pain Assessment
- Posture and Gait Assessment
- Range-of-Motion Assessment
- Treatment Planning for Health Care Sessions
Chapter 20: Myofascial and Deep Tissue Approaches
- Myofascial Techniques
- Deep Tissue Approaches
Chapter 21: Proprioceptive and Neuromuscular Approaches
- Proprioceptive Techniques
- Neuromuscular Therapy
Chapter 22: Musculoskeletal Injury and Massage
- Factors in Musculoskeletal Injury
- The Inflammatory Response and Massage Treatment
- Understanding Common Musculoskeletal Injuries
Chapter 23: Massage for Chronic Pain Conditions and Selected Pathologies
- Understanding Pain
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Chapter 24: Massage for Special Populations
- Massage for Athletes
- Massage for Mother and Infant
- Massage for Older Adults
- Massage for Obesity
- Massage for People with Disabilities
- Massage for End-of-Life Care
Appendix A: Health Care Terminology
Appendix B: References
Appendix C: Glossary
- Lesson & Topic Structure: The thoughtful instructional design of this textbook organizes contents into carefully sequenced learning chunks. Participants can finish topics in short study sessions (average 20 minutes). This sense of making regular progress improves learning motivation.
- Text Translation: So long as you use Chrome as your browser, participants with English as a second language can instantly translate the text into your native language so that you never miss a concept.
- Visually Appealing: Concepts come alive with striking imagery and appealing graphic design. Printed textbooks are limited by page number and keep visuals to a minimum. In the digital world, more is more when it comes to visual aids.
- Video Content: Massage Mastery: From Student to Professional boasts 38 technique demonstration videos including videos for Swedish massage, joint movement techniques, myofascial techniques, proprioceptive techniques and more.
- Standard Textbook Features: Standard textbook features like introductions, learning objectives, summaries, references, and resources get a digital upgrade with subtle animations and click-to-view options that invite you to engage with content you might otherwise skip over.
- Research Informed: Each textbook is written by massage professionals and carefully researched for accuracy and relevance. We make regular updates to content and can address content issues immediately (something printed textbooks can’t do).
- Easy Navigation: Clever web navigation puts an entire textbook a click away and provides an ongoing outline to help you mentally frame the content you are learning.
- Check It Off Progress: Oh, the motivating power of a checkmark! You’ll get a dose of satisfaction when you mark topics and lessons complete and see the progress bar advance.
- Take Notes App: You can take notes, organize, save, and print notes from the handy app within the textbook.
- Quizzes: Each topic concludes with a 5-question multiple-choice quiz to check content comprehension. Quizzes give instant feedback so that learners never reinforce incorrect information. When you reset quizzes, the program exchanges some questions, and shuffles response options for drill and practice study.
- Story & Scenario: The regular use of stories and client-therapist scenarios place important concepts in a real-world context and improve critical thinking skills.
- Interactive Content: The textbooks at Massage Mastery Online take advantage of design-forward web animations that increase student attention, learning, and engagement.
- On-The-Go Learning: Learning must fit into the margins of adult lives to be practical. This content is designed for on-the-go learning using a computer, tablet, or phone.
- Environmentally Friendly: No trees were harmed in the making of this textbook! Improve student learning outcomes and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time.